The Ramshila Hill situated on the south-east fringe of Gaya is one of the most sacred hills in Gaya and it also appears to have had a considerable antiquity. A number of stone sculptures belonging to the ancient period can be still noticed on and around the hill which suggests the existence of some earlier structures or temples since very early times. The temple situated on the top of the hill called as Ramesvara or Patalesvara temple was originally built in 1014 A.D. but has gone through many restorations and repairs in the succeeding periods. In front of the temple is a pavilion, built by Sri Krishna Basu of Calcutta in 1811 A.D. where 'pandas' are offered by the Hindu devotees during pitripaksha for their ancestors. The name of the hill is associated with Lord Rama and so images of Rama, Sita and Hanuman are also installed in a temple on the hill. The flight of steps leading up to the temple, originally got constructed by Sri K. Basu, was further repaired in 1886 by the then Raja of Tekari and even thereafter renovations and repairs have been going on for the benefit of the pilgrims who come in large numbers to offer 'pins'. The Ramshila Hill is considered to be the most sacred as it is also believed that Lord Ram had offered 'pinda' on the hill.